Thursday, March 6, 2008

Crazy Day

After I dropped Jack off at school, I went to go do some errands. As I crossed over the intersection by his school, I was nearly hit by a police car who was flying down the road, but he had no siren or lights on. By the time I pulled up to the light, I noticed two police cars to the left of me in the turn lane, two police cars behind a red car in front of me (also in the turn lane), and another 3 police cars in the lane to the right of me that goes straight. I did not have a good feeling about this but because the 3 police cars were to the right of me, I was blocked in. Of course when the light turned green, all 7 cruisers turned left, turned on their sirens and stopped once the red car stopped. I immediately looked to find another way out even if I had to drive over the medians, but because of where I was, I was blocked in by police cars. At this point, officers were jumping out of the cars with rifles, more police cars were coming from the other direction and surrounding this red car. The only thing I could do was duck and listen for gunfire. After what was probably only 2 minutes but felt like days, I looked up since I didn't hear anything and saw that everyone in the car was spread eagle on the ground with 4 rifles on each of the individuals. Although I remained calm while all of this was happening, once I left, I started shaking. It was very surreal at my first stop to go to the balloon store and order ballons for Jack's best friends' party on Sunday. But then I picked up Jack from school and we still went to Chick-Fil-A with his friend, Wes and they played and played. The sound of his laugh was even more sweet. There were a couple of older boys at the indoor playground who were more aggressive. When Jack came back to the table for a sip of lemonade, Jack told me that the boys were like "wolvie" (a rough-playing wolverine on Little Bear) and that "they wouldn't hurt me." Then he went back inside the playground, but before too long Jack and another boy were coming back out. The other boy was crying, and so I asked Jack what happened, and he said "that boy was pushing me, so I just did this" (he had his hands in a fist and made a T with his arms out to his side.) Whatever that move is, it was effective. I was encouraged to see Jack say he was sorry to the other little boy without any prompting from me. Then they both went back in to the playground. On our way home, Jack kept asking me to "check the numbers." He knows that rain turns to snow at 32, so he wanted me to keep checking the temperature on the rear mirror. He's been looking out the window waiting for snow and hoping that he will get to make snowballs and a snowman tomorrow.

1 comment:

KatieHinckley said...

Wow! So many things to be thankful for: you were okay, the cops took care of the bad guys and Jack wasn't with you!